Family Warning Dog Owners After Beloved Puppy Strangled To Death By Her Dog Bed

A family is warning fellow dog parents to be careful after their beloved Staffordshire Terrier, Bonnie, was strangled by the stuffing in her bed when they weren’t home. Bonnie had ripped open the bed and the stuffing, made from strips of material, wrapped around the dog’s neck 12 times and she was unable to free herself. The dog’s mother, Pip, also tried frantically to free her daughter but got tangled up herself.

“I could hear horrible choking noises when I got home. I was panicking and Pip was very distressed. She was in a mess. Bonnie was her baby and she was trying to save her,” Trish Kenyon said.

Jodie Cooke, Trish’s daughter shared her tragic story on Facebook as a warning to other dog owners:

“I feel incredibly heartbroken writing this but feel I need to raise awareness to any dog owners out there. My mum and I bought matching dog beds (pictured below) as you can see they are not made with average stuffing. It has also been stuffed with long strips of fabric. My mum came back home after being out for only 25 minutes to find her 1 year old dog and her mother (dog) stuck in the strips.

“These strips of fabric have unfortunately strangled and killed the young dog whilst her mum (dog) was trapped and couldn’t release her pup. There were many different designs so please if you have a dog bed like this have a look inside and please share this post. It may save a dogs life. RIP Bonnie

“For all those asking this bed was purchased from a local farm shop of which I will not hold accountable as they only sell them and don’t manufacture however I have seen them for sale in many places. I am doing all I can to get justice for our beautiful Bonnie and hopefully make a difference to other dogs and get these things banned. Thank you so much for your lovely comments and messages. Means a lot!”

People have since commented back to Trish that their dogs have become entangled in similar filling too. The family is calling on manufacturers to consider carefully the safety hazards their fillings may pose to pets. They also want consumers to be more aware that fillings such as the one that took Bonnie’s life pose a danger to their dogs.

The manufacturer has not been identified, but the dogs beds were pulled from the store that sold them the moment they heard from the family.

Share this important information with the pet parents you know!

Disclosure: This post may include affiliate links.