Magic Custard Cake is one of those crowd-pleasing desserts that’s really easy to prepare. The “magic” comes while baking in that it forms into three delicious layers – a spongy top layer, a custard one in the middle and a dense layer at the bottom. By adding some lemon zest, the cake becomes an elegant, go-to dessert you can pull out for any occasion.
In the following tutorial, Home Cooking Adventure walks through the steps for preparing this easy, but delicious cake.
You’ll need the following:
Makes 9 servings
1/2 cup (113g) butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup (135g) sugar
2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
Zest of 2 lemons
1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
2 cups (500 ml) milk
Sweetened whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 300F (150C). Grease and line a 8×8 inch (20x20cm) pan with parchment paper.
2. Separate egg whites from yolks. Mix egg yolks with sugar, butter vanilla extract and lemon zest until smooth. Add flour and mix until well blended. Add milk and continue mixing on low speed until homogenous.
3. In another bowl whip the whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the milk and yolks mixture.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 80-90 minutes until lightly golden. Let it cool completely in the pan and refrigerate to set for a couple of hours.
5. Trim the edges and cut the cake into bars. Top the bars with whipped cream and lemon slices. You can leave off the whipped cream if you prefer, as it’s just as tasty without it too!
Share this yummy recipe with your friends who love to bake, or as a dessert suggestion for your family!
Disclosure: This post may include affiliate links.