Families Share Heartfelt Warning ‘Please Prevent Pet Suffocation’

They are common in every home, but they pose a deadly threat to puppies and dogs. In fact, several beloved family pets have died in just the past few days because of them. What killed them? Chip bags. The dogs suffocated after sticking their faces into the empty bags that contain chips, Dorritos, Cheetos, pretzels and other salty snacks.

These mylar-type bags create a vacuum-like seal around a pet’s neck and it tightens as he/she tries to breathe. This type of pet suffocation is a real and dangerous threat to dogs, yet many dogs die because people simply do not know how dangerous these empty snack bags are. They are left within reach of a curious pup and the results are tragic.

One reddit user shared her recent terrible experience and wrote:

“My dog just suffocated the other night by sticking her face into a thick, foily type, empty bag of chips. My boyfriend and I went out to let a family member’s dogs outside for the night, before going to bed. We drove 5 minutes away and weren’t even gone for 20 minutes at the most and when we came back my mother told me my dog had died. My brother who was only a few rooms away heard nothing, and they tried to help her, but it was too late. PLEASE, when you finish eating chips or have empty cereal bags or even dog food bags, cut the bags straight down the sides to that the plastic or whatever material is flat and can’t wrap around your pet or even child doesn’t suffocate.”

She added:

“My dog got into a bag that I carelessly left out and suffocated. If I had been more aware of the danger I wouldn’t have left the bag. Instead I would have taken the time to cut the bag so that it was a flat piece and then thrown it away, thus eliminating the dog from ever suffocating even if they got into the trash bin.”


Just as you would childproof your home and never leave plastic bags lying around babies and toddlers, the same rule needs to apply to any food bag if there are puppies and dogs around the house. Chip bags are not the only danger. Cereal bags, snack bags, dog treat bags…any bag that contains a food item could potentially be a hazard.

Prevent Pet Suffocation is trying to raise awareness of the issue, which is not as widespread as it should be. Many pet owners are sharing their tragic stories, and you just have to read a few, to realize how important this safety tip is!

Here’s one story Prevent Pet Suffocation shared on Facebook of a family who didn’t leave the bag lying around, but it accidentally got loose from the garbage bin:

The Tueller family is beyond crushed after losing their new puppy, Jarvis, when he suffocated in a Cheetos bag on Tuesday. The children are having an especially hard time. Amy Tueller says, “Today, June 2, 2015, our beautiful champion Labrador, Jarvis, was found dead at 11 weeks by our 14 year old son. He had suffocated from sticking his head in a Cheetos bag and not being able to remove it. We were not even aware this could happen and are so devastated. I took to the Internet to see how common this was. I’m so upset and wish I would have just checked on him a bit sooner. His body was still warm. We attempted CPR but he had passed. This loss has ripped my heart out and if we can prevent this from happening to another family it’s worth sharing this awful experience. The bag must have blown out of the trash can into our backyard.” Please keep spreading the word!”


And another story demonstrating how quickly accidents can happen:

“A chip bag was too powerful for this sweet dog named Steel! Sadly, he suffocated on May 24th. Rachel Hooper writes, “This handsome stud, Steel, was taken way too early. He just turned 4. I never thought he could get a chip bag stuck on his face, left him alone for 15 min and we came back to his lifeless body. He was such a great dog/companion. It really angers me that such an awful tragedy was totally preventable, if I would have thought twice about leaving the chips out. Please, people, don’t let this happen to your loved ones. RIP Steel. We love you!”

By tearing up or cutting these bags up before throwing them away, you could end up saving a pet’s life or the life of another neighborhood pet.


Let’s help prevent pet suffocation and make it common knowledge by sharing this important safety information! Please take these families’ advice to heart and share it with your friends and loved ones!

Disclosure: This post may include affiliate links.