Parents Shocked To Find Their Children’s Sippy Cups Full Of Mold

Although every parent gets stressed when their child gets a cold or flu, getting sick is seen as a natural part of childhood. However, when a child keeps getting sick for no apparent reason, the stress for a parent can be unbearable. That’s the frustration one parent had until he made a shocking discovery, one that has other parents worried and angry.

Penny Powell recently shared a series of photos on Facebook that her friend shared with her. Her friend, Simon, was distraught because his son was always getting sick. After some investigation, the father began to suspect their might be something wrong with his son’s sippy cup.

He smelled a strange odor coming from it and removed the no-spill valve plug. After he pried it open with a knife he discovered it was filled with disgusting mold!

There doesn’t appear to be a way to wash the anti-leak plug other than to break it open.

Since Penny posted the series of pictures online, several other parents have also discovered mold in their children’s cups and shared the news with Penny.

Exposure and ingestion of mold can cause sinus infections, nasal stuffiness, asthma symptoms, throat irritation, eye irritation, skin irritation, coughing and other health difficulties.

The story has since gone viral as concerned parents have shared similar findings online. In response to the controversy Tommee Tippee has released a statement as reported by Q13 Fox:

“The testing showed that difficulties can arise when liquids that are not recommended for use in the cups have been used, like thick formula milk, pulpy juice and warm liquids. We strongly advise agains using those products. We also recommend that cups are not left for long periods before being cleaned.”

The company also said they are actively following up on any concerns raised.

It should be noted that there are sippy cups by other manufacturers with similar design that may need to be checked over as well.

No matter what cup is being used for drinks, parents should never assume that following such protocols will prevent mold from growing in a child’s drinking cup. All cups need to be thoroughly soaked and cleaned after every use and regularly inspected for mild growth and contaminants.

Watch more on the story in the news video below. Please share this warning with the parents you know!

Disclosure: This post may include affiliate links.