Why You Should Never Leave Your Cell Phone Under Your Pillow

Many of us are sometimes lazy with our cell phones, leaving them on our bed or charging them on a couch or on top of a pillow. But the New York Police Department has some words of advice – stop doing it now!

NYPD 33rd Precinct tweeted a series of alarming photos of mobile phones overheating and catching fire in beds as a warning to the public. They captioned the photos, “Don’t put your cellphone under a pillow when sleeping or when charging your device.”


Photo credit: Twitter/NYPD33Pct

The charred pillows and sheets are a stark warning to be careful with your cell phones and other electronic devices when you are in bed, as they can become quickly overheated and start a fire.


Photo credit: Twitter/NYPD33Pct

Cell phone manufacturers make sure to warn owners to not cover the device with bedding, your body, thick clothing or other materials that will significantly affect airflow.

If the batteries overheat they could melt, explode or cause a fire. Instead, experts recommend that devices should be left on hard surfaces where the heat from the battery can dissipate.


Photo credit: Twitter/NYPD33Pct

Cell phones are not the only devices that can overheat. The same advice goes for laptops, tablets and other electronic devices. Father Dwayne Blanchard learned of the dangers first hand when his son charged a bluetooth speaker on his pillow, setting fire to the bed!


Photo credit: Twitter/NYPD33Pct

The tweet from the NYPD serves as a good reminder to everyone to be careful with their phones and to educate their children of the dangers as well. It’s important for everyone to be aware of the dangers and form good habits when it comes to caring for their devices not only for their safety but the safety of the entire family.

Please share this tip and be safe!

Disclosure: This post may include affiliate links.