Adam Shaub was working hard on a hot day. But when he decided to grab a cold drink he learned first hand why people are advised not to. He recounted his frightening experience on Facebook and what he wrote has quickly gone viral, being shared over 600 thousand times!
Here’s what Adam wrote:
“PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
“So we’ve all heard not to drink really cold water in the heat, but a lot of us haven’t heard the why or experienced it first hand. Cold water is good, so how could it be bad? Well, yesterday I found out. We were out working in 100° weather (not a good idea in itself) when my dad noticed my face was getting pretty red and suggested that I take a break.
“I immediately grabbed a cold bottle of water and drank it. After he did a little more work he suggested that I get in the truck and blast the a.c.. in the truck I drank some more cold water (another bottle) and very shortly started feeling strange.
“I started seeing spots, my stomach got extremely nauseous and my hands and feet started tingling. I felt like I was going to throw up so I opened the truck door and the next thing I know I’m face first in the ground and my dad’s rolling me over and wiping off my face. He said my eyes had rolled back a bit and I didn’t come to for a few minutes.
“EMT arrived and asked what was going on. Immediately the guy knew what happened. Apparently, if you’re too hot and chug a bottle of cold water, it Can send your body into shock. It thinks that the stomach is going hypothermic and so it takes the warm blood and sends it to the stomach. You can lose consciousness. He said cold water is good, but only in sips.
“Room temperature water is better if you need fast rehydration. Just figured I would share in case anyone could benefit from my mishap.
“Summer’s just around the corner. Stay cool. Feel free to share if you think it could help someone. I wish I had learned this a long time ago.
“Edit: ***disclaimer*** I’m an not a Dr so please don’t take my experience or what I was told as a reason not to talk to your own doctor. Do not take my personal experience as advice.
“In case it wasn’t clear enough, drinking water throughout the day and staying hydrated is very important. If you mess up though, like I did, don’t make the same mistake as me.”
Since his post went viral, many people disagree that cold water was to blame. Instead, people point to heat exhaustion as the real culprit. Abruptly stopping his laborious work and sitting down likely escalated the symptoms of heat stroke which include nausea, “feeling strange” and blacking out. If Adam had sipped water while slowly walking around (rather than abruptly sitting which causes changes in blood pressure), he might have alleviated his symptoms.
It’s important to limit your activities in extremely hot weather and monitor your body. Make sure you stay hydrated throughout the day and get out of the heat if you start feeling sick.